RA’S BATHROOM WELLINGTON

Ra’s house was a really cool artisty apartment in Wellington. It looked right out over the ocean from the front windows and it was packed full of really entertaining and cool things that people who had lived there over the years had left. There was trendy fashion magazines, but not lame ones, and lots of prints all over the walls. There was a massive computer there that we could check our emails on, and we all slept on a couch each. As I always sleep with earplugs in, I have no problem sleeping in people’s lounges, as I cant hear them when they get up, go to work, etc. I don’t know how my friends do it, sam especially is a light sleeper, but maybe we’re all just so tired by the time we got to sleep. They had a kitchen that was cool, but I wouldn’t have wanted to cook in it, just make expensive cups of coffee like they did. Ra made these marmite and cheese toasties one night, but we had already had fried chicken on the way home, so we passed. I think if you lived there, you would eat out most of the time, I mean food is so good everywhere there, and they seemed like people who would be too busy/funky to cook. They had lots of music on their computer, so I did a work out to MIA and naughty by nature. I found it hard being social with her flatties, but Ra is kind of more Julia’s friend, and Julia and Sam both knew a couple of them from when we used to live in Wellington, so they kind of took care of the social obligations. In saying that, I really like Ra, and she has developed a very becoming grey streak sweeping back from her forehead into her hair, which was very interesting to watch.

Because the people in this flat were young and not poor and not ugly, I was correct in assuming that they would have a lot of lovely designer bathroom things. They had a really nice Kerestase (?) shampoo, which on later scrutiny proved to be for balding heads, but still provided a great clean. They also had one of my favourite bathroom suprises, that St Ives apricot facial scrub. Lost points here for having the finer scrub, not the heavy duty one. Lost points also, for having Close Up toothpaste, which is obviously just melted lollies Gained points for having the shower up a little step and kind of hidden away from the rest of the bathroom, made it nice and womb-like, a quality I much admire in a shower facility. They had an Aesop facewash/cleanser thing, which smelt lovely but was too oily for my face. Very expensive though, which prompted me to use it twice. Very sharp razor. Lost points for having too many housemates, therefore felt too greedy staying in the shower for very long at all, especially since the toilet was in the bathroom as well. Toilet in the bathroom is a double-edged sword, as on one hand you can very inconspicuously take a shit by masking the sound with the cold water on in the shower, but bad in terms of how long you view as your fair quota of bathroom time.

Lost a large amount of points for having three crap pairs of tweezers that kept luring me with their shiny new appearance to try them, only to experience multiple disappointments. Also, the bathroom window looked directly into the kitchen window, making it virtually impossible to squeeze anything in the mirror without being too nervous someone was watching you.

They had some funny drawingsin the toilet though, and a good strong flush.